Simply Delicious Veggie SoupSometimes simpler is better when it comes to soup. I have found over the years, that adding too many ingredients to the pot, not only gives you more soup than you can use, but also can "muddy" up the flavors. Here is a simple soup with not too many ingredients. Use a good homemade stock for best results.
Makes about 2 quarts.
- 1/4 c dry lentils
- 1/4 c dry split peas
- 6 c homemade vegetable stock (or use store-bought)
- 2 c tomatoes, crushed or finely chopped (canned or fresh)
- 4 medium potatoes, peeled and diced
- 2 c cabbage, chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/4 tsp salt (or more to taste)
- Wash and sort the lentils and split peas.
- Place them in a 5 quart pot with the vegetable stock and tomatoes.
- Bring to boil over medium heat, stir, lower heat, and cover.
- Simmer for about an hour.
- Add the potatoes, cabbage, bay leaf, and salt.
- Simmer for about 20 minutes.
- Serve with a sprinkling of shredded or grated Parmesan cheese.