Minestrone Soup with TVP : TSPTVP is textured vegetable protein, also called textured soy protein, or TSP. It comes in granules, strips and chunks. This Italian flavored soup is a complete meal when served with bread.
- 2 c boiling water
- 3 Tbsp tomato paste
- 1/2 c dry TVP chunks
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1/2 c onion, chopped
- 1/2 c celery, chopped
- 1/2 c carrots, peeled and chopped
- 1/2 c sweet potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/8 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1/4 tsp paprika
- 1/4 tsp basil
- 1/4 tsp ground thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 c water
- 2 tsp vegetarian chicken style broth and seasoning mix
- 1/2 c cooked kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 c cooked pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 c frozen peas
- 1 c large pasta shells
- 1/4 c Parmesan cheese, grated
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- In a large bowl, mix together the boiling water and tomato paste. Stir in the TVP and allow to soak at least 10 minutes.
- In a large heavy pot, heat the oil over a medium flame. Saute the onion, celery, carrot and sweet potato in the oil for about 5 minutes. Add the garlic, red pepper flakes, paprika, basil, thyme and bay leaf and saute another minute.
- Pour in the water and mix well. Add the broth mix, kidney beans, pinto beans, peas, and TVP with soaking liquid. Bring back to a simmer over medium heat. Reduce heat to low, partially cover, and simmer 45 minutes.
- Stir in the pasta and cook uncovered until tender, stirring frequently to keep pasta from sticking (about 10 minutes). Remove from flame and stir in the Parmesan cheese and black pepper. Serve hot with crusty Italian bread.