Italian Kale and Bean Soup
This hearty soup makes a wonderful main course for a nutritious vegetarian meal. Use whatever beans you have on hand.
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 c onion, chopped
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- dash red pepper flakes
- 1/4 tsp salt or to taste
- 1 (15 oz) can tomato sauce
- 4 c kale, chopped (thick stems removed)
- 1/2 c parsley, chopped
- 4 c water or vegetable broth
- 1 bay leaf
- 6 sprigs thyme or 1/2 tsp dry thyme
- 1 sprig rosemary or 1/2 tsp dry rosemary
- 2 c drained beans (cannelini, pinto, borlotti etc.)
- 2 slices day old bread, cubed
- 2 Tbsp grated Romano cheese (or similar)
- In a large, heavy pot over medium heat, warm the olive oil. Add onion, carrots and celery. Cook for about 7 minutes, stirring often.
- Add garlic, red pepper flakes and salt. Cook another 30 seconds.
- Add jakem parsley, tomato sauce, water, bay leaf, thyme, rosemary, and beans. Bring to a simmer. Reduce heat, cover partially, and simmer 30 minutes.
- Add bread cubes and Romano cheese. Simmer another 3 minutes.
- Adjust for salt and stir in a tablespoon of olive oil if desired. Serve hot.