Potato Salad with Kidney BeansI like to fit legumes into my salads whenever possible to add a higher level of protein, vitamins and minerals. This nutritious salad tastes delectable, and is perfect for a family reunion or picnic.
Makes 2 quarts.
- 2 hard-boiled eggs
- 6 small white potatoes
- 2 c cooked kidney beans, drained
- 2 large carrots, peeled and finely shredded or chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 small green pepper, chopped
- 2 large stalks of celery, chopped
- 2 hard-boiled eggs (divided use)
- 1/3 c mayonnaise
- 2 T white distilled vinegar
- 1 Tbsp sugar
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt
- 1/8 tsp black pepper
- Place unpeeled potatoes in a large pot, cover with water, and bring to boil over medium heat. Reduce heat to low and simmer partially covered for about 25 minutes, turning the potatoes over midway. Allow to cool in the hot water. Peel and cut in half-inch pieces.
- In a large bowl, combine potatoes, kidney beans, carrot, onion, green pepper, and celery. Chop one of the eggs into the mixture.
- Combine mayonnaise, distilled vinegar, sugar, salt and pepper in a 3-cup or larger bowl; blend well. Pour dressing over potato mixture; toss gently to combine. Smooth down the top of the salad. Slice the remaining egg and place it around the edges of the salad. Cover and chill at least 4 hours.