Gluten Free Pasta Salad with FigsI love the combination of Kalamata olives and Mission figs in this simple pasta salad. Dried mission figs are inexpensive, yet festive. Bring this salad to your next family gathering or potluck supper. By the way, you'll notice I do not follow the directions on the GF pasta package. I find the cooking method outlined in the first three steps below yields a better texture and flavor.
Makes 6-7 cups.
- 6 oz gluten free dry pasta, small size
- 1 c frozen green beans
- 1 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 1-15 oz can pink beans (or other beans)
- 1-4.5 oz package of dried bite-sized mission figs
- 1/2 c red bell pepper, finely diced
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1/2 c Kalamata olives, sliced
- 1/2 c red onion, finely chopped
- 1/4 c parsley, chopped
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 Tbsp fresh lime or lemon juice
- 1 Tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1 tsp prepared Dijon mustard
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp coarse black pepper
- In a large pot of boiling, well-salted water over high heat, add the pasta, frozen green beans, and vegetable oil. Bring to boil again and stir well.
- Reduce heat to medium and boil 11 minutes or until just tender, stirring occasionally.
- Remove pasta from water with a slotted spoon or spider, and place in a 2 quart covered dish. Do not rinse. Allow to cool for at least 5 minutes without stirring or disturbing.
- Stir and place in refrigerator to chill at least 4 hours.
- Place pink beans in a strainer and rinse. Drain well. Add to the pasta and green beans.
- Remove hard stem end of each fig and cut in 4 slices. Add to pasta dish.
- Stir in bell pepper, celery, olives, onion, and parsley.
- In a small bowl, mix the olive oil, lime juice, vinegar, mustard, Italian seasoning, salt and pepper. Pour over salad and toss well. Refrigerate for a few hours for best flavor.