Make your own fresh croutons without needless additives. Use a seed and spice mixture known as "Za'atar" to make them delicious!
Makes about 4-6 cups.
- 12 oz (6-8 c) cubed day old bread
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- 4 Tbsp Za'atar
- 1/2 tsp salt (or to taste)
- Preheat oven to 275 degrees F.
- Place half the bread cubes on each of two large baking sheets with rims.
- Pour 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil on each baking sheet and toss the bread cubes in the oil until well coated throughout.
- Sprinkle each sheet with half the Za'atar; toss again until evenly distributed.
- Bake about 40 minutes, turning over and rotating baking sheets midway. Sprinkle with salt and cool in pans. When completely cool, store in a tightly sealed, air-tight container.
- Use in soups, casseroles, and on salads.