Faux Chicken Nuggets
These little faux chicken nuggets are chewy and delicious. Besides serving them for snacks, you can use them for lunchbox protein sources or in casseroles.
Makes about 40 nuggets.
- 1 c TVP (textured vegetable protein*) bits or granules
- 1/2 c vital wheat gluten
- 4 tsp chicken style consommé or broth mix
- 1 tsp dry savory
- 1/2 tsp celery seed
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1 c boiling water
- 1/4 c fine dry breadcrumbs
- 3-4 Tbsp vegetable oil
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, mix together the TVP, gluten, consommé mix, savory, celery seed, turmeric, and pepper. Add salt only if the broth mix you used was low sodium. Brush the parchment paper with half of the vegetable oil.
- Break off rounded tablespoons of dough and form into nuggets. Roll lightly in breadcrumbs, and place on the prepared baking sheet.
- Use remaining vegetable oil to brush tops of nuggets well.
- Bake 15 minutes. Remove baking sheet and turn nuggets over. Return to oven: bake another 15 minutes.
- Serve hot or warm with guacamole, hot sauce, salsa, sweet and sour sauce, or ketchup.
*Also called "textured soy protein or TSP".