Vegetarian Beef TVP Stew
This one-pot meal is easy to throw together from food storage and tastes wonderful. I used dehydrated shitake mushrooms that were already chopped, and very tender beef-flavored TVP.
- 1 c beef-flavored TVP chunks
- 1/2 c dehydrated shiitake mushrooms
- 1 1/2 c boiling water
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion, roughly chopped
- 2 stalks celery, thickly sliced
- 2 large carrots, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 3 medium red potatoes, diced
- 1-15 oz can diced tomatoes
- 2 c marinara sauce
- 2 c vegetarian beef-flavored broth
- 2 Tbsp minced parsley or 1 Tbsp dry parsley
- 1/4 tsp allspice
- 1/4 tsp ground cloves
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- Soak the beef-flavored TVP in 1 cup of the boiling water and shiitake mushrooms in the remaining half-cup of boiling water until softened, or about 15 minutes. Remove mushrooms with slotted spoon and chop them. Return to soaking liquid and set aside.
- In a large heavy pot over medium heat, warm the olive oil. Add onions, celery, and carrots. Add the garlic and saute another minute.
- Stir in the TVP and shiitake mushrooms with soaking liquid.
- Add remaining ingredients and bring to a simmer. Reduce heat to low and partially cover. Simmer 1 hour, stirring frequently. Serve hot.