Terkettes GumboOkay, it's Terkettes Tuesday in part of the country already. I'm going to post my Terkettes recipe a bit early on the West Coast since I have a lot going on for the rest of the day. This Terkettes Gumbo has authentic gumbo seasoning, and the aroma alone will bring everyone to the table.
- 1 sweet potato
- 2 tsp butter or margarine, divided use
- 1 1/4 c water, divided use
- 1/4 c Terkettes broth
- 8-10 oz Terkettes (half of 20 oz. can) or seitan
- 2 stalks celery, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 bell pepper, coarsely chopped
- 1 Tbsp parsley, chopped
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/4 tsp ground oregano
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tsp gumbo file
- 1/4 tsp black pepper, ground
- 1/8-1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 zucchini, cut in bite-sized pieces
- 12 fresh okra pods, trimmed and cut in thirds
- 1 small onion, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- Peel and slice sweet potato into 1/4 inch thick disks. In large skillet, add 1 tsp of the butter and 1/4 c of the water and add a single layer of the sweet potatoes.
- Simmer over medium low until water evaporates.
- Turn the sweet potatoes over and add remaining 1 tsp butter.
- Cook another minute, then remove to a holding dish.
- In same skillet, add remaining ingredients.
- Stir and bring to simmer over medium low.
- Turn to low, cover, and simmer 15 minutes.
- Serve over white or brown rice.