Ricotta Winter Greens Pie
This hearty dish is great for company or a special family meal. It freezes and reheats well.
- 10 oz collards, mustard, and/or turnip greens
- 3 eggs
- 1 1/2 c sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 3/4 c of Parmesan cheese, shredded
- 16 oz ricotta
- 1 Tbsp minced fresh rosemary (divided use)
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- 2 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 c vegetable broth
- 1 unbaked deep dish 9.5 inch pie shell
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Trim the washed greens, removing any tough stems. Cut into very small pieces and set aside.
- In a large bowl, lightly beat the eggs. Add cheddar, Parmesan, ricotta, 2 tsp of the rosemary, salt and red pepper flakes; blend well. Set aside.
- In a large, heavy pot over medium heat, warm the oil. Add onions, saute 3 minutes. Stir in garlic and saute another minute.
- Pour in the vegetable broth and bring to simmer. Add the greens, bring to simmer again, and reduce heat to low. Cover and simmer 10 minutes, stirring once or twice and adding water as needed.
- Drain pot mixture well; fold it into the ricotta mixture.
- Spoon into prepared pie shell. Scatter the remaining rosemary on top.
- Bake 45 minutes, or until golden and firm. Cool 10 minutes before slicing and serving.