Low Cholesterol Eggplant Pie
This vegan recipe was inspired by Irena Chalmers' Eggplant Pie recipe in her book, ""Quiche and Pie". We loved it, served with a dollop of my Buttermilk Salad Dressing as a wonderful 'sauce', but it is great as is, as a main course!
Makes one 9.5-inch dinner pie.
- 3 Tbsp olive oil (divided use)
- 1 medium globe eggplant, peeled, cut in 1/2 inch cubes
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 (14-15 oz) can diced tomatoes
- 1/2 tsp rosemary
- 1/4 tsp oregano
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 4 eggs, lightly beaten
- 3/4 c whole wheat flour
- 3/4 c unbleached wheat flour
- 1/2 tsp (rounded) salt
- 1/2 c olive oil
- 4 Tbsp ice water
- In a large skillet over medium heat, warm 2 tablespoons of the olive oil. Place a single layer of the diced eggplant in the skillet. Cook undisturbed about 2 minutes. Turn and cook the other side. Remove eggplant to a large bowl.
- Add the other tablespoon of olive oil to the same skillet and sauté the onion for about 3 minutes.
- Add tomatoes, rosemary, oregano, salt, and pepper. Bring to simmer and cook 2 minutes, crushing diced tomatoes a bit with back of spoon.
- Remove from flame. Stir in the eggplant and cool 15 minutes before stirring in the beaten eggs.
Crust and Baking Instructions:
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the whole wheat flour, unbleached flour, and salt. In a small bowl, beat the olive oil and ice water together until viscous and creamy.
- Add oil mixture to flour mixture and combine with a fork Bring into a dough ball with the fork, adding a teaspoon or two of ice water if needed.
- Place dough ball on lightly floured sheet of wax paper. Flour the top of the dough.
- Place another sheet of wax paper on top and roll to one-inch bigger than a 9.5 inch pie plate.
- Remove top sheet of wax paper. Put upside down pie plate on top, centered. Get your hand under the bottom sheet of wax paper, and flip the pie plate and rolled pie dough over. Carefully peel off wax paper.
- Crimp crust edges and fill with the eggplant filling.
- Bake 30 minutes, or until the egg mixture has firmed up. Cool 10 minutes before slicing and serving.