Greek Lentil Squares
Here is a high protein, vegetarian main course with a Greek twist. Serve with lemon slices or a Tzatziki Sauce.
- 8 oz phyllo dough sheets (1/2 box)
- 16 oz frozen chopped spinach
- 3 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil (divided use)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 tsp minced fresh thyme
- 1 tsp dry oregano
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 (15 oz) can cooked lentils, drained (or 2 cups home-cooked)
- 1 (8 oz) can tomato sauce
- 5 ounces feta cheese, crumbled (about 1 1/4 cups)
- 2 Tbsp melted butter
- Thaw tightly-wrapped phyllo sheets and spinach overnight in refrigerator. Cut phyllo sheets to roughly the size of an 11 x 7 inch pan, returning any extra sheets (beyond the 8 ounces needed for this recipe) to freezer.
- In a large, heavy skillet over medium heat, warm 1 tablespoon of the olive oil; add onion. Sauté 5 minutes. Add thyme, oregano and red pepper flakes; stir together until fragrant, 30 seconds to a minute.
- Remove from heat. Squeeze the spinach nearly dry and add to skillet, along with thoroughly drained lentils, tomato sauce, and feta. Blend well.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Combine melted butter and remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a small bowl.
- Brush an 11 x 7 x 2" baking dish with the butter mixture.
- Lay phyllo dough out on a work surface and cover completely with a damp kitchen towel.
- Lay a sheet of phyllo in the pan. Brush it lightly with butter mixture.
- Place another phyllo sheet on top, again brushing with butter mixture. Continue layering the phyllo, using about one-third (5-6 sheets).
- Add half of lentil filling in an even layer.
- Layer another third of phyllo, brushing each sheet with butter mixture. Place remaining lentil filling on top.
- Layer last third of the phyllo sheets on top, brushing with butter mixture.
- Using a sharp knife, Score the dish into squares (8-9 pieces), cutting through layers without disturbing top.
- Bake 45 to 50 minutes, until top is golden brown. Serve warm or at room temperature.