Artichoke PaellaI have found that paella does not have to be just for company, but scaled down, as it is in my new recipe, it can be a special family meal. Be sure to use short grain rice for best results!
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1-2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 c celery, cut in 1 inch diagonal slices
- 1 c onion, cut in thick wedges
- 1/2 c carrots, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1/2 c red bell pepper, coarsely chopped
- 1 c firm seitan, chopped
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp red chili pepper flakes
- 1 c tomatoes, chopped
- 1/2 c canned baby corn, cut in 1 inch pieces
- 1/2 c frozen peas
- 1/4 tsp smoked Spanish paprika
- 4 saffron threads
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 c short grain rice (Calrose or similar)
- 1 1/3 c vegetable broth
- 1/2 c artichoke hearts, halved (brine packed canned)
- 1 Tbsp fresh parsley, chopped
- In a 10-12 inch heavy skillet or paella pan, warm the oil on medium high. Add garlic, celery, onion, carrots, red bell pepper and seitan. Saute about 3-4 minutes. Stir in salt and red chili flakes.
- Add tomatoes, baby corn, frozen peas, paprika, saffron, and bay leaf. Saute another 3 minutes.
- Add rice and vegetable broth. Bring to simmer. Stir once to be sure all rice is submerged. Nestle artichoke heart pieces in the top. Without stirring again, allow to simmer 15 minutes, rotating the pan 1/4 turn every few minutes (for even cooking).
- Remove from flame and gently lift bottom rice to the top. (A little crusting on bottom is normal.) Allow to stand 5 minutes before sprinkling with parsley and serving.