Mulberry Tart with Almond Crust
We have had a large mulberry harvest from our weeping mulberry tree this year. Here is a delightful recipe that brings out the wonderful flavor of the berries.
- 2 c cold almond meal (flour)
- 1/3 c cold tapioca starch
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1 large egg
- 4 Tbsp melted butter (vegan or dairy)
- 3/4 c sour cream
- 1/2 c sugar (divided use)
- 2 c fresh mulberries (leaving tiny green stems on is okay)
- 1 Tbsp tapioca starch
- 1/2 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1/4 tsp vanilla
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1/4 c slivered almonds for topping
- Place cold almond meal and cold tapioca starch in a medium bowl. Add salt and blend well.
- In a small bowl, beat the egg with a whisk or fork. Add the melted butter and beat together.
- Add egg mixture to the almond mixture and blend well. Use clean hands to form a dough ball.
- Press dough into a lightly buttered 9-inch tart pan with removable bottom. Bring the edges up to form a 1/2-inch lip around the tart.
- In a small bowl, beat the sour cream and 1/4 cup of the sugar together. Set aside.
- Add vanilla and salt and stir again.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Spread the creamy filling in the bottom of the almond pie crust.
- Top with an even layer of the berry filling.
- Sprinkle the slivered almonds on top.
- Place tart on a baking sheet to catch any drips. Bake 35 minutes, turning the pan around midway for even baking. Pie is done when firm and set up.
- Cool in pan at least 30 minutes before removing sides of pan and placing tart on a platter. Serve warm or cold.