Apricot Pie with Oil CrustIn trying to cut back on saturated fats, I have used oil instead of shortening or butter to make this vegan crust. It came out flaky and tasty!
Makes one 9.5 inch pie.
- 1 1/2 c whole wheat flour
- 1 1/2 c all purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 Tbsp sugar
- 1/8 tsp ground mace
- 3/4 c vegetable oil
- 1/2 c cold vegan milk
- 3 (15 oz) cans apricots in extra light syrup
- 1 1/2 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1/2 c sugar
- 3 Tbsp all purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground mace
- 1/8 tsp ginger
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Sift together the whole wheat flour, all purpose flour, salt, sugar, and mace.
- Add oil and stir until well-distributed.
- Gradually add just enough of the cold milk to bring the dough together. Divide into two dough balls.
- Place one dough ball on a sheet of wax paper that has been sprinkled lightly with flour. Sprinkle top of dough with flour and place another sheet of wax paper on top. Roll to plate size. Repeat with second dough ball. Chill both sheets of pastry while making filling.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Drain the apricots, reserving liquid. Place apricot in a medium saucepan and break up a bit with a spoon..
- Add lemon juice, sugar, flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, salt, and 1/3 cup of reserve liquid. Stir well.
- Cook on medium heat until just beginning to simmer.
- Arrange one sheet of dough in the pie plate. Add filling. Put remaining pie dough on top and crimp edges.
- Cut a few slits in the top crust to let air escape and set pie on a large baking sheet to catch any overflow.
- Bake about 45 minutes, or until the filling is bubbling through the top slits.
- Cool at least an hour before serving.