Vegan Beefy EnchiladasThese enchiladas make a nice change from cheese-heavy enchiladas. Use our recipe for taco filling or buy any soy taco filling you like. If you wish, you can peel the roasted poblano pepper once it cools, however, I like the charred bits in these enchiladas, so I only remove the seeds and stem.
Makes 12 enchiladas.
- 1 poblano chili pepper (sometimes called a pasilla chili)
- 1 Tbsp or 1-.7 oz packet chicken style vegetarian Gravy Mix
- 1 c water
- 1/4 c vegan sour cream
- 3-4 Tbsp vegetable oil, divided use
- 1 medium onion, julienned
- 1 bell pepper, julienned
- dash salt
- 12 corn tortillas
- 4 c soy taco filling
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees and roast the poblano pepper whole in a small baking dish. Turn once or twice. Bake about 15 minutes, or until blackened and soft. Remove and cool slightly. Cut in half; scoop out the seeds and remove the stem. Chop and place in a medium bowl. Set aside.
- In a small saucepan, mix the chicken style gravy mix and water. Stir over medium heat with a whisk until thick and bubbly. Remove from heat and whisk in the sour cream. Set aside.
- In a large skillet over low heat, warm a tablespoon of the oil and add the onion, bell pepper, and salt. Saute for about 5 minutes, or until limp. Scoop these sauteed veggies into bowl with the poblanos and combine.
- In the same skillet over medium low, heat a half-teaspoon of oil at a time, softening each tortilla for about 10 seconds on each side. Tortillas should puff up a bit when done. Stack the hot tortillas on a plate or board.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Spoon a little of the sour cream sauce in the bottom of an 11 x 7 x 2 inch baking dish. On each softened tortilla, place 1/12 of the taco filling and a few sauteed veggies (save a few veggies for the top). Roll and place the enchiladas in the baking dish, seam side down and close together. Continue until all the enchiladas are rolled. Pour the remaining sauce on top and decorate with any leftover sauteed veggies. Bake uncovered for 18-20 minutes. Serve hot.