Flor de Mayo Pot Beans
This recipe will also work with dry pinto or peruano beans. Put it together in the evening and serve it to a crowd in the morning with plenty of hot tortillas or bread.
- 16 oz Flor de Mayo beans
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 carrot, peeled, diced
- 1 dry ancho or guajillo chili pepper
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 bay leafs
- 1 tsp salt, or to taste
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- Rinse and sort the beans. Place in a large pot and cover by 2 inches with water. Bring to boil, cover, take off heat, and let stand one hour.
- Drain beans and place them in a slow cooker (crock pot). Add onion, carrot, ancho pepper, garlic and bay leafs. Pour in at least 4 cups fresh boiling water.
- Cook on low heat for 8 hours or overnight. Remove ancho pepper and bay leafs.
- Add salt and olive oil. Serve hot in bowls. If desired, top with queso fresco cheese.