Whole Wheat Tortillas
These tortillas are perfect for burritos, wraps, or just as a bread serving with butter. They hold together nicely and are especially good with added chili peppers (or a sprinkling of red chili pepper flakes).
Makes 12 large tortillas.
- 1 c boiling water
- 1/3 c vegetable shortening
- 2 1/2 c whole wheat flour
- 1 tsp gluten flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3-4 Japanese chilies, crushed (optional)
- Place the boiling water in a heat-proof bowl and add the shortening. Stir until melted.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the whole wheat flour, gluten flour (vital wheat gluten), baking powder, salt and crushed chili peppers.
- Add shortening mixture to dry ingredients and stir until it comes together; knead one minute. Cover dough and allow it to rest 15 minutes. (Dough will be slightly on the dry side.)
- Divide into 12 balls. Roll out on an un-floured surface, using a rolling pin. Lift dough and turn frequently while rolling into very thin 10-inch discs.
- Preheat griddle on medium. Cook each tortilla a minute or two per side, or until brown speckles appear. Place in tortilla storage container, or on covered plate.
- To use, eat as is or reheated on hot griddle.