Whole Grain Cornbread
This cornbread is far lower in calories than traditional cornbread. It makes a wonderful breakfast or snack. Spread it with butter or peanut butter for a special treat.
Make about 9 pieces.
- 1 1/4 c yellow cornmeal
- 3/4 c whole wheat flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 large egg
- 1 1/4 c cultured buttermilk
- 2 Tbsp honey
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F and butter an 8 x 8 inch baking pan.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the cornmeal, whole wheat flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- In a smaller bowl, lightly beat the egg. Add buttermilk and honey and beat until well-mixed.
- Add the egg mixture to the dry ingredients and stir just until combined. Do not over-mix.
- Spread into the prepared baking pan. Tap the pan on counter and gently shake until even.
- Bake 18 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, and top is golden.
- Cool in pan 10 minutes, before cutting into 9 pieces. Serve warm or at room temperature.