High Protein Molasses BreadThe old fashioned flavor and rustic texture of this quick bread will take you back to a simpler time. We have increased the protein in this loaf with the use of Greek yogurt and wheat germ. The addition of nuts will take the protein level still higher.
Makes one large loaf.
- 1 egg
- 1 c raw sugar
- 2 Tbsp vegetable shortening
- 2 c plain nonfat Greek yogurt
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 c molasses
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 c stone ground whole wheat flour
- 1/2 c toasted wheat germ
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F and lightly grease a large loaf pan. Line the pan with parchment paper, and again, lightly grease the paper.
- In a large bowl, beat egg, raw sugar and shortening together.
- Add yogurt, soda, molasses, salt, flour, and wheat germ. Combine all ingredients just until incorporated.
- Spoon into the prepared loaf pan and tap the pan on a counter to release air bubbles. Bake about 50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Turn out on a rack and allow to cool at least one hour before slicing.
Nuts or dates or both may be added.