Oatmeal Fig Bars
Great for a snack, a breakfast on the run, or a dessert, these lovely fig bars are nutritious and tasty!
Makes 9 medium bars.
- 1 c chopped dry figs (stems removed)
- 1 tsp orange zest
- 1/2 c orange juice
- 1 1/2 c quick oats
- 1 c all purpose flour
- 1/2 c brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/3 c butter, melted and cooled
- 1 egg white, lightly beaten
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and butter a 9 x 9 x 2 inch baking pan.
- In a small saucepan, place the chopped figs, orange zest and orange juice. Bring to boil over medium heat. Reduce heat and simmer 5 minutes. Cool.
- Place the fig mixture in a small processor or blender. Pulse until you have a smooth paste.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the oats, flour, brown sugar, baking powder and salt.
- Add melted butter and egg white. Stir well to form a crumbly mixture.
- Place half the crumbly mixture in the prepared pan and spread evenly. Press down to form a firm crust.
- Spread all of the fig mixture on top.
- Spoon the remaining crumbly mixture on top evenly and loosely. Press very lightly, so the top remains crumbly yet holds together.
- Bake 20 minutes or until browned on top. Cool in pan. Cut in 3 rows across and 3 rows up and down.