Called "Farinata Genovese" in Italy, this street food is delicious as a main luncheon course or a snack. Serve with a light green salad.
- 3 1/2 c besan (chickpea flour)
- 1 tsp salt
- 3 1/2 c water
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1/4 c sun-dried tomatoes, finely chopped
- 2 Tbsp capers, finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp fresh rosemary, minced
- 4 Tbsp olive oil
- 4 medium onions, thinly sliced
- freshly ground black pepper
- 2 Tbsp Mirin rice wine or other wine (optional)
- Place besan flour and salt in a large bowl. Slowly whisk in the water until smooth batter results. Stir in the tablespoon of olive oil, the sun-dried tomatoes, capers, and rosemary. Allow batter to stand while making the topping.
- In a large skillet on medium low heat, warm the 4 tablespoons olive oil. Add onions and caramelize them by sautéing 40 minutes, stirring often to keep from burning. Add black pepper to taste.
- Add Mirin and scrape/deglaze the skillet. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F and grease a large oven-proof skillet with butter or vegetable shortening.
- Pour batter into the prepared skillet and bake 15 minutes.
- Put onion topping over the flatbread while hot. Serve hot or warm.