Tofu Turnip ManicottiThis is a crepe manicotti recipe, rather than one that uses cooked pasta tubes. The crepes are easy to work with and pliable. Be sure to use silken tofu, not the kind of tofu packed in water. This dish can be made ahead and baked when company arrives.
Makes 12 filled manicotti.
Filling and Sauce:
- 1 c frozen turnip greens with diced turnips
- 1/2 c cream cheese
- 1/2 tsp granulated garlic
- 12 oz silken tofu, (soft, firm or extra firm) mashed
- 2 c (8 oz) mozzarella cheese, shredded(divided use)
- 6 Tbsp grated Parmesan cheese (divided use)
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1/2 tsp dry basil
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp black pepper
- 2-14 oz cans Italian seasoned diced tomatoes
- 4 eggs
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3/4 cup all purpose or unbleached flour
- olive oil for frying
- Cook turnip greens and diced turnips according to package directions (about 30 minutes). In a large bowl, blend together the cream cheese and garlic until softened. Blend in tofu, 1 1/3 cup of the mozzarella, 4 tablespoons of the Parmesan cheese, egg, basil, salt and black pepper. When turnips are cooked, cool them and squeeze them dry. Add the turnip greens/diced turnips to the tofu mixture and blend well. Set aside. In a separate bowl, mash the diced tomatoes with a potato ricer until they make a chunky sauce.
- In a medium bowl, beat eggs with a whisk. Add water, salt and olive oil. Blend in flour until smooth. Heat a 6 inch crepe pan or skillet over medium high heat. Lightly brush pan with olive oil. Pour 3 tablespoons batter in center of pan. Tilt pan quickly to coat bottom of pan evenly. Cook 20 seconds or until crepe is set on bottom; turn crepe over and cook another few seconds. Remove and stack on a plate. Repeat until all crepes are made.
- Spoon a thin layer of sauce over the bottom of an 11 x 7 x 2 inch baking dish. Spoon about 2-3 tablespoons of the tofu mixture along the center of each crepe; roll up. Arrange in baking dish, seam side down. Cover generously with sauce. Sprinkle with remaining 2/3 cup of mozzarella and remaining 2 tablespoons of Parmesan cheese. Bake uncovered for 30-40 minutes or until piping hot. Serve with a green salad and garlic bread.