Vegetarian Yankee Bean SoupSimmering beans and vegetables are wrapped in a soy-ham flavor. This soup is comforting on the coldest of days. Use pinto, great northern, navy or kidney beans in this recipe.
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 Tbsp margarine or butter
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 medium bell pepper, finely chopped
- 2 stalks celery with leaves, finely chopped
- 1-10 oz can diced tomatoes with green chilies
- 1 large red potato, medium-diced
- 3 medium carrots, peeled and sliced
- 1 c frozen peas
- 1 c frozen green beans
- 4 c cooked beans (or 2-15 oz cans of beans)
- 4 c boiling water
- 1/4 c ham-flavored soy bits (or bacon-flavored)
- 1 1/2 tsp poultry seasoning
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp Vegeta or 2 tsp vegetarian broth mix
- In a large heavy pot, heat the olive oil and margarine on a medium setting. Add the onion, bell pepper and celery. Saute 5 minutes.
- Add the remaining ingredients; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, partially cover, and simmer 30 minutes. Serve hot.