Russian Sauerkraut SoupThis soup is low in fat and calories, and is perfect for a cold winter night.
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1/4 c onion, chopped
- 1 stalk of celery, chopped
- 1 small carrot, peeled and chopped
- 1 c mushrooms, halved
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 1/2 tsp caraway seed
- 2 dry red chili peppers
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 c vegetable broth
- 1 c sauerkraut, rinsed and drained
- 2 c green cabbage, chopped
- 1 c tomato sauce or 2 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and cut in 1/2 inch pieces
- In large pot, heat the oil on low. Add onion, carrot, celery, and mushrooms. Saute 5 minutes. Add garlic, caraway seeds, red chili peppers, and bay leaf; saute another minute.
- Pour in the broth, sauerkraut, cabbage, tomato sauce, and potatoes. Cover the soup loosely and simmer for about an hour on lowest setting. Remove bay leaf and dry red chili pepper. Serve hot with a dollop of sour cream or shredded cheese.