Mexican Vegetable Soup
- 1 dry California chili
- 1 c boiling water
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 4 green onions, sliced
- 1 stalk of celery, cut in 1/4 inch slices
- 1 clove garlic
- 2 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 2 bay leaves
- 6 c water
- 1 medium potato, peeled, 1/3 inch dice
- 1 medium carrot, peeled, 1/3 inch dice
- 1 c butternut squash, peeled, 1/3 inch dice
- 1 c cabbage, finely chopped
- 1/4 c cilantro, mince
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp season salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1 c dry macaroni, cooked al dente
- In a large, heavy pot over medium heat, sauté the green onions, celery and garlic in the olive oil for 3 minutes.
- Add tomatoes and bay leaves; sauté another 2 minutes.
- Add the water, potatoes, carrots, butternut squash, cabbage, cilantro, chili powder, salt, season salt, and black pepper. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat , cover, and simmer 20 minutes. Add cooked macaroni and heat briefly before serving. If desired, top with a sprinkling of grated Asiago cheese.