Lentil and Ziti SoupI like to avoid using olive oil and garlic in this soup because they will dominate the flavor. This version has a clean taste of the lentils, veggies and pasta.
- 1 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 c bell peppers, chopped
- 2 c cabbage, chopped
- 8 c water
- 1 c dry brown lentils, rinsed
- 1/2 c parsley, minced
- 1-6 oz can tomato paste
- 1 Tbsp fresh mixed Italian herbs, minced
- 1 1/2 tsp sea salt or to taste
- 1/2 tsp finely ground red pepper
- 2 c Ziti pasta or any medium pasta
- In a 7 quart heavy pot or Dutch Oven, heat the oil on medium low. Add onion, bell pepper and cabbage. Saute 10 minutes.
- Add water, lentils, parsley, tomato paste, and herbs. Stir well. Bring to simmer and partially cover. Simmer 45 minutes or until lentils are just tender.
- Add salt, red pepper, Ziti pasta, and more boiling water as needed. Cook uncovered for about 12 minutes, stirring often to keep pasta from sticking to the bottom. Serve hot.