Italian Zucchini Soup
Makes about 2 quarts.
- 3 oz spaghetti pasta
- 2 Tbsp butter or margarine (divided use)
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 c onion, chopped
- 1 c celery, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 c tomato, diced
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp pepper
- 3 1/2 c vegetarian chicken-style broth
- 1 medium zucchini, unpeeled, diced
- 1/2 c parsley, chopped
- 1/4 c basil, chopped
- Break the spaghetti into 1-inch lengths.
- In a small pot of boiling salted water, cook the spaghetti 4 minutes (only partly cooked). Drain, return to pot, and toss the spaghetti in 1 tablespoon of the butter. Set aside.
- In a large, heavy pot over medium heat, melt the remaining tablespoon of butter in the olive oil.
- Add onion, celery and garlic; sauté 3 minutes.
- Add tomato, salt and pepper. Sauté another 2 minutes.
- Pour in the broth, zucchini, parsley, and basil. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low, partially cover, and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Stir in the spaghetti, bring back to simmer, and cook 2 more minutes.
- Serve hot. If desired, sprinkle with grated Italian cheese.