Hungarian Mushroom Soup
This is a hearty vegan soup that is best served as a main course with a good bread and salad.
- 3 tbsp olive oil (divided use)
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 16 oz sliced brown mushrooms
- 2 tsp vegetarian chicken-style broth mix
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 head garlic, minced
- 1 Tbsp corn starch
- 3 c water
- 1-2 tbsp chopped fresh dill
- 2 Tbsp Hungarian paprika
- 2 Tbsp soy sauce
- 1 c pure coconut milk
- juice of half-lemon
- In a large, heavy pot over medium high heat, warm one tablespoon of the olive oil.
- Add onions, mushrooms, broth mix and salt. Sauté for about 5 minutes, or until the onions and mushrooms are softened.
- Add the garlic and sauté another 30 seconds.
- In a small bowl, mix the remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil with the corn starch until smooth. Add to the pot and stir until bubbly.
- Pour in the water, dill, paprika, soy sauce and coconut milk. Blend well.
- Bring to a simmer, reduce heat, cover; simmer 10 minutes.
- Add lemon juice, stir, and serve hot. If desired, add a sprinkling of dill or a dollop of sour cream to each serving.