Friday Meatless Stew
- 1 c TVP chunks (textured vegetable/soy protein)
- 2 c water
- juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 medium bell pepper, chopped
- 4 oz mushrooms, sliced
- 2 c collards or turnip greens, chopped
- 1/4 c parsley, chopped
- 2 c vegetable broth
- 1/4 c ketchup
- 1 Tbsp vegan Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 Tbsp soy sauce
- 1/2 tsp sage
- 1/2 tsp marjoram
- 2 tsp corn starch>
- In a 3 quart or larger heavy pot over medium heat, warm the oil. Sauté the onion and celery 3 minutes.
- Add garlic; sauté another minute
- Add bell pepper, mushrooms, collards, parsley, and drained TVP chunks. Sauté another 2 minutes.
- Pour in broth. Stir and bring to boil. Reduce temperature to low, and simmer covered 12 minutes.
- In a small bowl, mix the ketchup, Worcestershire sauce, soy sauce, sage, marjoram and corn starch until well-blended.
- Add slurry to pot; stir constantly until simmering. Continue cooking another minute or two before serving hot.