Creamy Tomato Soup
This recipe was developed by my daughter, and it's so good that we make it almost every week lately! Despite the luxuriousness of this soup, it is not high in calories. It makes a good main dish or, in a small bowl, the perfect start to a good dinner.
Makes about 2 quarts.
- 1 (28 oz) can whole plum tomatoes with juice
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1/8 tsp salt or to taste
- dash black pepper
- 2 large cloves garlic, finely minced
- 5 c water
- 1/3 c cream cheese (or 8 oz coconut milk)
- Place tomatoes in a deep bowl, and crush with clean hands to break them up. Set aside.
- In a large (3-quart or larger) heavy pot over low heat, warm the olive oil. Add the onion and cook slowly for 10 minutes, stirring often. (Onion should not be browned, but should soften and become transparent.)
- Add garlic and sauté 1 minute.
- Stir in the tomatoes with their juice. Add water. Bring to boil on medium heat.
- Reduce heat to a simmering temperature. Simmer uncovered for 20 minutes.
- Stir in the cream cheese until well-dissolved and warmed. Add salt and pepper. If desired, use an immersion blender or standard blender to further cream the soup.
- Serve hot with warm bread.