Carrot and Potato Soup
I like to serve cups of this soup at the beginning of a special vegetarian meal, but it makes a good main course when served with a salad and bread.
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 5 c vegetarian chicken style consommé
- 3 c peeled, diced carrots
- 3 c peeled, diced potatoes
- 1 tsp ground thyme
- 1 tsp ground sage
- 1 bay leaf
- salt, only if needed
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground pepper
- In a large pot over medium low heat, melt butter. Add onions and garlic; sauté 3 minutes.
- Add broth, carrots, potatoes, thyme, sage, and bay leaf.
- Simmer, uncovered, until vegetables are tender, about 20-25 minutes.
- Discard bay leaf and puree soup, using an immersion blender, potato masher, or standard blender.
- Season with pepper; add salt if needed.