Broccoli Soup Bread BowlsThis beautiful Cream of Broccoli Soup dish is suitable for a cozy dinner for two, and all it needs is a fruit cup to go with it!
- 3 Tbsp butter (divided use)
- 1/2 medium onion, chopped
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 2 c chicken style vegetarian broth
- 4 c small broccoli florets
- (2) 6 oz French bread bowls*
- 2 Tbsp all purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1 1/2 c whole milk
- 2 c shredded cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
- Melt 1 tablespoon of the butter in a large heavy pot over medium low. Add onion and celery; saute 5 minutes.
- Pour in the broth and broccoli; stir. Bring to a simmer, cover, and simmer 12 minutes, or until the broccoli is tender. Remove from burner.
- Slice the top off the bread loaves and scoop out the insides to 1/2 inch shell. Place on a baking sheet and toast in the preheated oven 10-12 minutes while finishing soup.
- In a small saucepan over medium low, melt the remaining 2 tablespoons butter. Add flour and stir until bubbly. Add the milk and whisk until it thickens and simmers one minute.
- Add cheese and stir until melted. Pour this creamy mixture into the pot of broccoli and blend well.
- Serve soup in prepared bread bowl and add a bit more shredded cheese to the tops if desired.
*Note: Most supermarkets now carry these bread bowls in their bakery department.