Broccoli Potato Soup
This creamy soup may be used as a main course or first course for a vegetarian meal.
- 3 c water
- 8-9 oz fresh broccoli florets
- 3/4 tsp salt (divided use)
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled, cut in 1/2 " pieces
- 3 Tbsp butter
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 Tbsp flour
- 1/8 tsp pepper
- 2 c whole milk
- 1 c shredded cheddar
- Place water, broccoli and 1/2 tsp of the salt in large saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium heat. Boil about 4 minutes.
- Using a slotted spoon, remove broccoli to platter. Reserve hot cooking water in pot. Chop broccoli in smaller pieces if desired. Set aside.
- To the hot cooking water, add potatoes and bring back to boiling on medium heat. Boil 6 minutes or until tender. Remove from heat.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, melt butter. Saute onions 5 minutes, or until beginning to brown. Add garlic and cook another minute.
- Stir in flour, salt and pepper until blended. Add milk and stir continuously until thickened and simmering one minute. Remove from burner.
- To the pot of potatoes with its cooking liquid, add back the broccoli and the skillet mixture. Stir and heat briefly.
- Stir in the cheese until melted. Serve hot.