Adzuki Bean Chili
Adzuki Beans cook up quickly and are higher in protein and lower in calories than many other beans. In this chili, they provide great texture and flavor! To learn how to cook up adzuki beans, click here!
- 1 c TVP (textured vegetable protein) granules or bits
- 1 c boiling water
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 c carrots, finely chopped
- 1 c celery, finely chopped
- 1 c onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 jalapeño pepper, seeded, minced
- 1 Tbsp chili powder
- 1 Tbsp dry cilantro
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp Mexican oregano
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 2 c cooked adzuki beans
- 3 c vegetable broth
- 1 (15 oz) can diced tomatoes with juice
- 4 Tbsp tomato paste
- Soak TVP in boiling water 5 minutes. rinse and drain in fine sieve, pressing water out with back of spoon. Set aside.
- In large heavy pot over medium heat, warm olive oil. Add carrots, celery and onion. Sauté 5 minutes. Add TVP, garlic and jalapeños. Sauté another 3 minutes.
- Add chili powder, cumin and oregano. Sauté another minute.
- Add adzuki beans, broth, diced tomatoes with juice, and tomato paste. Stir well and bring to boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer covered for 10 minutes.
- Add a little boiling water if chili is too thick. Serve hot with a dollop of sour cream and a side of buttered corn tortillas or corn bread.