American Baked Beans
Makes about 6 cups.
- 1 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 2 c chopped onion
- 6 c cooked small red beans, drained reserving liquid
- 1 1/2 c water and/or cooking liquid
- 1/2 c ketchup
- 3 Tbsp packed brown sugar
- 1/4 c molasses
- 2 Tbsp prepared yellow mustard
- 1 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/4-1/2 tsp cayenne
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a large, ovenproof pot over medium low heat, warm the oil and butter. Add onions and saute 5 minutes, or until tender.
- Add remaining ingredients and blend well.
- Cover and bake 30 minutes. Remove cover and baked uncovered another 45 minutes, or until the liquid is mostly absorbed/evaporated, but the beans are not dry. (You can add more liquid as needed.)
- Remove bay leaves. Serve hot or at room temperature.