This high protein dish can be made with homemade or store-bought seitan. Even more protein is added in the form of Brazil nuts. Serve this pilaf as a main course with a crisp salad.
- 2 Tbsp olive oil (divided use)
- 1 c diced seitan (or use Heritage Vege-Scallops)
- 1 Tbsp butter or margarine
- 1/2 c Brazil nuts, cut in thirds
- 1 orange or red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 c chopped tomatoes
- 1 small red onion, chopped
- 1/2 jalapeño pepper, roasted, seeded and minced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 c cooked brown rice
- 1 lime, juiced
- 1/2 tsp salt or to taste
- 2 Tbsp zaatar seasoning
- In a 3-quart or larger heavy pot over medium heat, warm one tablespoon of the oil. Add diced seitan; brown, stirring often for about 3 minutes. Remove to a holding dish and set aside.
- In the same heavy pot, add the remaining tablespoon of olive oil and the butter. Stir in the nuts, peppers, tomatoes and red onions. Sauté 3 minutes.
- Stir in the jalapeños and garlic. Sauté another minute.
- Add the rice, the browned seitan, lime juice, salt and zaatar. Toss and heat through for a couple of minutes.
- Serve in bowls or on plates with added zaatar and slices of lime if desired. Serve hot or at room temperature.