Tofu Deli Slices
This makes a plenty of vegetarian cold cuts. I slice them all, refrigerating half for use within 2 weeks, and freezing the other half for later use. These deli slices make wonderful sandwiches!
Makes one (2-pound) loaf.
- 8 oz extra firm tofu
- 1 c vegetable broth
- 3 Tbsp ketchup
- 3 Tbsp mild sodium miso
- 2 Tbsp nutritional yeast
- 2 Tbsp dry parsley flakes
- 1 tsp dark soy sauce
- 2 tsp sage
- 2 tsp onion powder
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- 2 tsp turmeric
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 1/2 c gluten flour (vital wheat gluten)
- 1/2 c chickpea flour (besan)
- Put a large pot of water on the boil and place a steamer rack on top.
- Crumble or finely dice the tofu. Place it in a high speed blender or food processor.
- Add broth, ketchup, miso, yeast, parsley, soy sauce, sage, onion powder, paprika, turmeric, garlic powder, salt and pepper. Process until smooth.
- In a large bowl, add the gluten and chickpea flours. Blend well. Stir in the tofu mixture and blend well. Knead in bowl 3 minutes. (Dough will be soft, but not sticky.)
- On your work surface, lay out a large sheet of foil. Add a sheet of parchment paper on top. (You may need to use 2 sheets of each if your sheets are narrow.)
- Form a large loaf shape with the dough and place it on the prepared foil-lined parchment. Wrap it and twist the ends closed.
- Place the loaf in the prepared steamer and cover. Steam one hour, checking periodically to see that the water does not boil out, and preheating your oven to 350 degrees F during the last 15 minutes of the steaming process.
- Place the foil-covered loaf on a baking tray and bake 30 minutes. Remove and cool in foil
- Unwrap and slice. Refrigerate in a covered dish, and use within 2 weeks. (You may want to freeze half or more of the slices for later use.)