Mandarin Veggie Scallops
You can use Loma Linda Vegetable Scallops or Heritage Health Foods Vege-Scallops in this dish. They are both vegan high-protein, low-fat seitan products that are ideal for long-term storage on your pantry shelf.
- 3 c egg noodles or vegan wide noodles
- 1 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 tsp toasted sesame oil
- 1 c veggie scallops (see note above), sliced in 1/4 inch "coins"
- 1/2 medium onion, sliced
- 3 stalks celery, sliced on diagonal
- 1/2 c red bell pepper, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 inch knob of ginger root, peeled, minced
- 1 serrano chile pepper, seeded, minced
- 1 (15 oz) can mandarin oranges
- 1 1/2 tsp soy sauce
- 1 1/2 tsp corn starch
- 1 tsp vegan chicken style broth mix
- Boil a medium pot of salted water. Cook noodles according to package directions while proceeding with recipe.
- In a deep heavy pot or wok, warm the vegetable oil and sesame oil over medium heat.
- Add veggie scallop slices and spread in a single layer. Brown on the first side, turn and brown the other side. (This takes about 6-8 minutes.) Remove to a holding dish.
- In the same pot/wok place the onion, celery, and red bell pepper. Stir fry about 3 minutes. Add garlic, ginger and chile pepper. Stir fry another minute.
- Add back the veggie scallops.
- Drain mandarin oranges, reserving liquid. Into a beaker, mix the orange liquid with the soy sauce, corn starch and broth mix , whisking until dissolved. Add this liquid to the pot and stir quickly until thickened and smooth.
- Gently stir in the mandarin oranges and heat briefly.
- Spoon scallop mixture over the cooked noodles and serve hot.