Baked Vegetarian JambalayaI used short grain brown rice in this dish and it was rich and delicious, but for a flakier rice dish, use long grain brown rice. For the sausage crumbles, I made my recipe for TVP Breakfast Sausage Patties and crumbled them, but store-bought are fine.
Makes about 6-7 cups.
- 2 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 medium red onion, chopped
- 4 oz extra firm tofu, diced (1/3 inch)
- 1/2 c vegetarian sausage crumbles
- 1 c uncooked brown rice
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 c chopped fresh tomatoes w/juice
- 1 3/4 c water
- 1/2 c chopped green onions (plus extra for garnish)
- 1 Tbsp dry parsley
- 1 tsp gumbo file powder
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- dash ground red pepper, or to taste
- 1 bay leaf
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Heat vegetable oil and butter in 2 or 3 quart ovenproof pot over medium high. Add onion, tofu and sausage crumbles. Saute 5 minutes. Add rice and garlic to pot. Heat, stirring until rice is coated.
- Add tomatoes, water, green onions, parsley, gumbo file powder, paprika, oregano, salt, black pepper, red pepper, and bay leaf. Stir well. Cover tightly with tin foil and then place lid on top.
- Place pot on a baking sheet and bake for about 1 hour and 15 minutes, or until rice is tender. Allow to stand fully covered for 15 minutes before fluffing and stirring with a fork. Serve with a garnish of sliced green onions.