Tabouli Salad : TaboulehIf you do not have all of the fresh herbs in this recipe, you can use dried leaf parsley, cilantro or mint and add it to the boiling water as you steep the bulgur wheat. Fresh is better though!
- 1/2 c dry fine bulgur
- 1 c boiling water
- 1/2 tsp coriander seeds
- 1/2 tsp aniseed or fennel seeds
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
- 1/2 c fresh parsley, minced
- 1/2 c fresh cilantro, minced
- 1/4 c fresh mint, minced
- 3 green onions, thinly sliced (both white and green parts)
- 1 c tomatoes, finely chopped
- 1 c cucumber, seeded and finely chopped or use celery
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced
- 3/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 3 Tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 Tbsp lemon juice
- Rinse the bulgur wheat 2 or 3 times and strain in fine strainer. In a medium bowl, pour boiling water over the bulgur. Let stand 1 hour. Drain well and set aside.
- In a small skillet over low heat, toast the coriander seeds, aniseed, and cumin seeds until aromatic, about 2 minutes, stirring often. Remove from flame and cool. Crush the seeds in a mortar and pestle or in a spice mill.
- In a 2 quart mixing bowl, combine the bulgur, seeds, parsley, cilantro, mint, green onions, tomatoes, cucumber, garlic, jalapeno, salt, pepper, olive oil and lemon juice. Mix well and spoon into a one quart covered bowl. Press down with the back of a spoon, and chill for at least 2 hours before serving.