Fava Bean Quinoa Salad
Here is a vegan salad that is loaded with complete protein. It is a light dish that is perfect for a hot summer day. Be sure to use mild onions in this dish. If they are too sharp, soak them in water for several hours, before draining and patting dry.
- 1-2 pounds fresh lava beans in pods
- 1/4 c quinoa
- 1/2 c water
- 1 c thinly sliced celery
- 1/4 c thinly sliced sweet onion
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 2 tsp red wine vinegar
- 1/4 tsp savory
- 1/8 tsp salt
- dash pepper
- Place quinoa and water in a small saucepan. Bring to simmer, reduce heat to very low setting, and cover.
- Simmer 12 minutes, or until the water is absorbed. Remove from heat and set aside to cool.
- Remove fava beans from their pods and place them in a pot. Cover with water. Bring to boil on medium heat. Boil 2 minutes.
- Cool beans, and remove shells by clipping ends and squeezing out the beans.
- Place in a medium bowl and add the cooled quinoa, the thinly sliced celery, and sweet onion.
- In a small bowl, blend the olive oil, vinegar, savory, salt and pepper. Pour over the salad and toss. For best results, chill the salad one hour or more. Serve cold.