Vegetarian Cabbage Rice
Turn an inexpensive cabbage into a fantastic vegetarian entree with this simple recipe!
Makes 2 quarts.
- 2 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 1 medium onion, coarsely chopped
- 8 c bite-size cubed cabbage
- 2 c MorningStar Farms Grillers Crumbles
- 1/2 tsp Old Bay seasoning
- 1/2 tsp caraway seeds
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp coarse black pepper
- 2 c cooked rice
- 1-10 oz can condensed Cream of Celery soup
- 1/2 c sour cream
- 1 slice whole grain day-old bread
- 1 Tbsp butter, melted
- dash sea salt
- dash pepper
- In large heavy pot, heat oil and melt butter on medium low. Add onion, cabbage, and crumbles. Saute 5-6 minutes until coated and wilted.
- Add Old Bay seasoning, caraway seeds, salt, pepper, cooked rice, condensed Cream of Celery soup, and sour cream. Blend well. Transfer to an oiled 2 quart casserole dish or oven-proof pot.
- For the topping, cube bread in 1/4 inch dice. Toss in melted butter, salt and pepper. Scatter over top of baking dish.
- At this point the dish may be covered and refrigerated for up to a day before baking. To bake, preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Place uncovered baking dish in center oven and bake 30 minutes or until heated through. Serve hot.