Vegetable Fried Rice
This is a great way to use cold, leftover rice. I have specified my favorite vegetables for the dish, but use 3 cups of your favorites, or whatever you have on hand.
- 1/2 Tbsp butter
- 2-3 eggs, lightly beaten
- dash salt
- dash white pepper
Vegetables and Rice:
- 1 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 tsp toasted sesame oil (or more veg oil)
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1-inch knob ginger root, minced
- 1 c cabbage, finely chopped
- 2 medium carrots, peeled, finely chopped
- 2 stalks celery, finely chopped
- 1 small red onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- 1/4 tsp white pepper
- 3 c cooked, cold rice
- 2 spring onions, finely sliced
- Heat small skillet on medium low.
- Melt butter. Add eggs, stirring until scrambled lightly.
- Transfer to a holding dish.
Vegetables, Rice, and Finishing:
- In large skillet over medium heat, warm vegetable oil and sesame oil.
- Add garlic and ginger. Saute one minute.
- Add cabbage, carrots, celery, red onion, salt, sugar, and white pepper; saute 3 minutes.
- Add rice and scrambled eggs. Saute 2-3 minutes or until heated through, breaking up any clumps of rice.
- Sprinkle with spring onions and serve hot.