Portobello Wild Rice
This is a flavorful holiday side dish that goes well with my recipe for Vegetarian Black-Eyed Peas.
- 16 oz Portobello mushrooms
- 2 (6 oz) boxes Uncle Ben's Long Grain and Wild Rice mix (or similar)
- 4 c water
- 4 Tbsp salted butter (divided use)
- 2 medium sweet onions, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 c Mirin rice wine
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 c chopped parsley
- 2 Tbsp sliced green onion tops
- Clean the Portobellos with a damp cloth. Cut them in half, then slice each half thickly.
- Place the rice, enclosed packets, water, and one tablespoon of the butter in a 4-quart or larger pot. Bring to boil over medium high heat. Reduce heat to lowest setting, cover, and simmer 20 minutes. Remove from heat and leave covered 5 minutes. Uncover.
- In a large skillet over medium low heat, melt the remaining 3 tablespoons of butter. Sauté the onions for 8 minutes.
- Add sliced Portobellos and sauté another 5 minutes, or until tender.
- Add onions and Portobellos to the pot of rice. Add Mirin wine and parsley. Toss all gently, sprinkle with green onion tops, and serve hot.