Italian Stuffed Eggplant
- 1 large globe eggplant
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1/4 c onion, chopped
- 1/4 c celery, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 c uncooked long grain white rice
- 1 tsp chicken-style vegetarian broth mix
- 1 tsp Italian herbs
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp black pepper
- 1 c water
- 1 c tomato, finely chopped
- 2 Tbsp grated pecorino Romano cheese
- 2 Tbsp parsley, chopped
- 2 Tbsp basil, chopped
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Cut stem off the eggplant. Slice the eggplant in half lengthwise. Scoop out the pulp, leaving 1/2 inch thick shell. Coarsely chop the eggplant pulp.
- Place the eggplant shells, cut side down, in an 11 x 7 x 2 inch baking dish. Pour about a half-cup water in the dish. Cover with foil and bake 15 minutes. Set side.
- In a medium saucepan, heat the oil on medium high. Add chopped eggplant pulp, onion, celery, and garlic; sauté 3 minutes.
- Add rice, broth mix, Italian herbs, salt and pepper and the cup of water; mix well. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to lowest setting, cover, and simmer 15 minutes.
- Stir in tomato, Romano cheese, and parsley.
- Drain any water that remains under the eggplant shells and turn them over. Stuff each with half the filling.
- Bake 15 minutes. If desired sprinkle with a bit more cheese. Serve hot or warm.