Easy Sushi RiceThis rice is often called "Sticky Rice" and it is great in many Asian dishes. There is a touch of sweetness to it from the mirin wine.
Makes about 3 cups.
- 1 c Calrose Shirakiku rice
- 1 c water
- 2 Tbsp seasoned rice vinegar
- 1 Tbsp mirin rice wine
- 2 Tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tsp toasted sesame seeds (0ptional)
- Rinse rice in a fine strainer for about a minute. Allow to stand and drain in strainer for 10 minutes to soften.
- In a 2-quart pot, mix rice and water. Bring to boil on medium heat. Stir, reduce heat to lowest setting, and cover tightly.
- Simmer 15 minutes, remove from burner and allow to cool 10 minutes without lifting lid.
- In 1-2 cup bowl, mix together vinegar, mirin, sugar and salt until dissolved. Add to rice and blend until distributed evenly throughout.
- Sprinkle with sesame seeds if desired and serve with Asian dishes such as Stir Fried Vegetables, in sushi balls, or in Vegetarian Sushi Rolls.