Vegan Bacon Dog Treats
These are the crunchiest dog treats yet! Good for keeping canine teeth healthy and clean! Best of all, these vegan treats are easy to make in any size.
Makes about 3-4 cups small treats.
- 1/2 c bacon-flavored TVP* (textured vegetable protein)
- 2 Tbsp chia seeds
- 1 c boiling water
- 1 c whole wheat flour
- 1/4 c nutritional yeast flakes
- 3 Tbsp gluten flour
- Preheat oven to 325 degree F and ready a 15 x 9 inch jelly roll pan.
- Place TVP, chia seeds and boiling water in a food chopper. Allow to stand 15 minutes to soften.
- Pulse until finely ground.
- In a medium bowl, mix remaining ingredients. Add TVP mixture and stir. When too thick to stir, use clean hands to knead in bowl.
- Place dough on lightly floured surface. Lightly flour a rolling pin and roll out into a rectangle that is about 1/4 inch thick.
- Transfer the rolled dough to pan(s) and pat into corners and edges.
- Use a sharp knife to score the dough into squares of a size suitable for your dog. Be sure to cut all the way to the bottom and edges.
- Bake two hours in the center of the oven. Cool completely and break apart. Place treats in a sealed container or jar.
These bacon-flavored bits are known by a brand name, "Bacos".