Dog Treats Made from Corn
Using inexpensive canned corn, I was able to make a large supply of crunchy dog treats. Our new puppy Halo loves being rewarded with these biscuits!
Makes about 8 cups of half-inch treats.
- 2 (15 oz) cans whole kernel corn (preferably unsalted)
- 2 c whole wheat flour
- 1 c corn meal
- 1/4 c nutritional yeast
- 1/2 c peanut butter
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F and lightly oil 2 (14 x 10) inch baking sheets or 1 (14 x 20) inch baking sheet.
- Drain the corn and pulse it in a food processor or blended until pureed.
- In a large bowl, combine the whole wheat flour, corn meal, and nutritional yeast. Mix in the pureed corn and peanut butter.
- Knead by hand until you have a cohesive stiff dough. Add a teaspoon or two of water if needed or a bit more flour if too loose.
- Press dough evenly into the prepared pan(s). Cut dough, slicing it in the pan, forming squares or diamond shapes of the size your dog will like.
- Bake 1 hour, rotating baking sheets midway if using two.
- Cool completely. Break apart the biscuits. Place in air-tight containers.