Creamy Broccoli Potato Lasagna
This dish derives protein from the milk and yogurt, and its flavor from the potatoes and broccoli. It is a lovely and inexpensive main course.
- 2 c thinly sliced red potatoes w/peels
- 2 c chopped fresh broccoli
- 8 oz standard lasagna noodles
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 Tbsp butter
- 1 c chopped onion
- 2-3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 Tbsp all purpose flour
- 1 c milk
- 1 c plain yogurt
- 1 (10 oz) can condensed cream of celery soup
- 1 tsp coarse salt
- 1/4 tsp white pepper
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F and oil an 13 x 9 x 2 inch baking pan.
- Bring 6-8 cups of salted water to a boil.
- Add the potatoes and broccoli to the pot of boiling water and stir. Bring to boil. Simmer 5 minutes, or until just tender. Remove potatoes and broccoli with slotted spoon, reserving boiling water. Rinse vegetables with cold water and set aside.
- Add the lasagna noodles to the same pot of boiling water and cook them to the 'al dente' stage, about 6-8 minutes, or according to package directions. Drain.
- In a medium sized heavy pot over medium heat, melt butter in the olive oil. Add onions and cook 3 minutes. Add garlic and cook another minute.
- Stir in the flour and heat a minute, or until bubbly. Pour in the milk and bring to a simmer, stirring constantly. Simmer one minute, or until thickened and smooth. Remove pot from heat. Stir in yogurt, celery soup, salt and white pepper to make a thick sauce.
- Layer 1/3 of the noodles in the bottom of the pan. Scatter half of the potato/broccoli mixture on top.
- Pour 1/4 or so of the sauce evenly over the potatoes. Repeat layers twice, ending with extra sauce and smoothing it to cover all.
- Bake uncovered 25 minutes, or until hot. Allow to stand 10 minutes before cutting into portions and serving hot.